[Phpmyadmin-devel] Java Applet

Michal Cihar nijel at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 16 11:59:11 CEST 2003

On Monday 16 of June 2003 20:29, Marc Delisle wrote:
> Garvin Hicking wrote:
> > Hi Alex!
> >
> >>A documentation entry would be OK, but I don't think that we should
> >> include a java applet in our distribution.
> >
> > Well, personally I don't see any reasons why a GPL'ed, optionally enabled
> > java applet shouldn't be included there? The table coordinates placement
> > using X/Y values is a pain in the ***, so I'd love to see something
> > graphical there. And a java-applet is the most compatible way to do so,
> > even better than DHTML, I think. :)
> >
> > Why do you think this could be problematic?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Garvin.
>
> Personnally I could not maintain Java code. But maybe it's just me :)
>
> Also, should be rename the package JavaMyAdmin ?  :)

Okay, I'll also express about this :-), but don't expect anything special as I
don't like java, because I had to work with it for several months...

To make applet usable, you need jar archive. To develop code you need sources.
This is hardly to include in our current source and will just make mess.
Putting jar into cvs makes no sense, but just after checkout it will work.

I vote for creating separate cvs and separate distribution and make in easily
include in phpMyAdmin (EnableApplet in config or something like this). This
just in case that somebody could maintain the code, not only write it...

--
Regards
	Michal Cihar