[Phpmyadmin-devel] Java Applet

Rabus derrabus at gmx.de
Mon Jun 16 13:39:13 CEST 2003

Am Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:42:28 +0200 hat Michal Cihar
<nijel at users.sourceforge.net> geschrieben:

> Okay, I'll also express about this :-), but don't expect anything special
> as I don't like java, because I had to work with it for several months...

"I don't like Java": That is what I'd say, too :-)
And imho most of our users won't be happy to see that we use Java applets -
optionally or not.

> To make applet usable, you need jar archive. To develop code you need
> sources. This is hardly to include in our current source and will just
> make mess. Putting jar into cvs makes no sense, but just after checkout
> it will work.
>
> I vote for creating separate cvs and separate distribution and make in
> easily include in phpMyAdmin (EnableApplet in config or something like
> this). This just in case that somebody could maintain the code, not only
> write it...

It's not just putting the applet into our CVS tree and there we are...
Since we are releasing under GPL, we MUST provide the source code of the
applet.

Even if we check in the Java source into a seperate CVS module, our release
script would additionally need to pre-compile it in order to make it usable
as an applet - as most users won't be able to do so.

Finally, the applet together with its source code will make the
distribution kit a lot larger and that is what I'd try to avoid.

Distributing the applet as some kind of add-on would be the way to go,
imho.

Regards,

Alexander M. Turek
<rabus at users.sourceforge.net>