[Phpmyadmin-devel] 2.4.1 release schedule

Garvin Hicking squirrel at supergarv.de
Sun Mar 16 12:56:10 CET 2003

Hi List!

> My suggestions:
>
> - php >= 4.1.0 (Dec. 10th, 2001)
> - MySQL >= 3.23.32 (Jan. 22nd, 2001)

I fully agree to what Rabus said about PHP3/MySQL < 3.23 compatibility. I like the
idea of leavin phpMyAdmin 2.5.0 the last release for older version compatibility. We
should then try to implement MySQL 4.1 features and maybe some better
InnoDB/Relationship as well as a complete Session-based rewrite of the code. Even
though that sounds like much work I think adapting the current code to sessions
should be more a work of some weeks rather than few months. And we basically need
new code to make phpMyAdmin usable for future PHP/MySQL versions. Maybe some of you
have read what I posted in the MS-SQL forum thread...

Anyways, those steps would then lead to a new phpMyAdmin 3.0. And most importantly
as Rabus told, phpMyAdmin will always be in its previous version a tool for PHP3
users. Those people don't tend to be accessive to new feature implemented in
phpMyAdmin if they won't even upgrade their PHP3 accounts. It's real hard to get a
PHP3 server nowadays.

To make a long story short: +1 :-)

Regards,
Garvin.