[Phpmyadmin-devel] about arbitrary auth_type

Michal Cihar nijel at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 10 05:20:57 CEST 2003

Original message (Marc Delisle, 10.09.2003 07:42):
> Michal Cihar a écrit:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >Original message (Marc Delisle, 10.09.2003 07:06):
> >
> >>I find this a valuable addition. However, I suggest we use 'cookie' mode
> >>for it.
> >>
> >>The server choice list could be always expanded to add a choice like
> >>"other...", and when it is chosen, the field to enter the server name
> >>would be made visible.
> >>
> >>One less choice for configuration, keeps things more simple, avoid
> >>maintaining a seperated "arbitrary" script.
> >

> >There should still be posibility to disable this, to keep iterface as
> >simple as possible (eg. with just one server).
> >
> >    Michal
>
> Michal,
>
> well, if you like. But I think that having this:

I have some setups, where using just one server is perfectly enough and
I don't want solve customers problems with another server. Thats why I
wanted to allow disabling of arbitrary login.

> Server choice: [(drop-down)]
> or             [enter server name]
> --------------------
>
> would not clutter the interface too much. Plus it opens the eyes of
> users about this feature if we always show it, or if we
> show it by default.

Okay, you're right, that now it is a bit hidden, but "normal" users
won't use this often and the others will find it.

> Currently if we have just one server, we even don't show it on the
> login page, and I think that showing it would be an improvement.

We don't show it, because it is not needed...

> Also, the auth_type 'arbitrary' somehow hides the fact that the mode
> is really cookie.

Yes.

I don't know what's the best solution, but the one I made seemed best to
me...

    Michal