[Phpmyadmin-devel] Roadmap? Feature plans for PMA 3.0?

Marcel Tschopp marcel.tschopp at gmx.net
Thu Apr 15 07:41:02 CEST 2004

Wow, much answers :)
Here are my proposals:

Olivier wrote:
> Hola,
>
> On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 12:23 +0200, Garvin Hicking wrote:
> > - Get sessions to work, to get around POST/GETing the SQL query or the resultset
> > data from page to page. This is the reason for many timeout/browser problems
> > when editing records
>
> using php-sessions, or a custom system, based for example on a mysql
> table?
Yes, for session security I think it is better to use a mysql table to
store session data. And the user has not to use cookies...

> > - Have DB-stored configuration with user-management, where a PMA user can tweak
> > his own settings regarding colors, maxrows, sql query window et al
>
> just tell: how often a year do you change your PMA colors and
> maxrows? :)
Could be combined with a template system...

> > - Have a nice installer
>
> +++  (even before 3.0 :)
>
> > - Support transactions and other MySQL 5 features
Eg. views, stored procedures, etc.

> +++
>
> > - After that is all done, make PMA work on all OpenSource RDBMS ;)
>
> This would be interesting, but would not be phpmyadmin anymore.
> This could be called 'PearDbAdmin', 'PhpDbAdmin', 'PhpAdodbAdmin',
> etc... :)
>
> just googled a bit: phpdbadmin is already there, at least on SF:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpdbadmin/, but:
> "Development Status: 1 - Planning", and seems to be dead. Description
> is: "PHP-based (multiple-)database administration utility. Bringing
> multiple database servers and multiple databases together into one
> simple web-based interface. The power of PHP and the ease of the web.
> Currently planned to allow easy simultaneous access"

If we would make a code rewrite, it would be easy to make phpMyAdmin
(phpDBAdmin?) to work with postgresSQL. Other DBs could also be
integrated... :-)

> > I'm curious what the others think about the plans...
>
> some random ideas for 3.0:
>
> - get rid of all the HTML/javascript code from the PHP files
>   -> templates. would require quite a lot of work, so
>      probably it would be good to start from scratch
+1 for templates. The coding would be much easier!

> - focus on php5/mysql 4.1+ only  (and of course continue to improve
>   PMA 2.x for php4 and mysql4)
My idea is also to make the code cleaner, eg. use an oo-style api (php5),
pear coding standarts, pear documentation standarts etc.

Marc wrote:
> Hi all,
> This is currently no plan. Here are a few ideas about the roadmap; please do
> not think I am being negative here...
I don't think you are negative here :)
I agree, this is no plan. But I also think that these few ideas are
required because PMA is going to release 2.6.0...

> - we currently have a low manpower. Any plan will have to take this into account,
> even though I agree that the release of 3.0 can attract some other developers
Agreed. Eventually we should write that on the phpmyadmin.net homepage?

> - we have a very big features requests list; some day we will have to deal with it
Yes, but at the moment it is really hard to implement those features. As
I said above I would really like to make a complete rewrite for 3.0.0.
How do you think about that?

> - bug fixing takes a lot of time (but I agree that a part of this could be avoided
> with some structural changes in the code)
Some structural changes or complete rewrite? :-)

> - we discussed some plans for version 3.0 more that a year ago, I refer you to
> those discussions
Thanks, I will look for them!

> - I would concentrate now for the release of 2.6.0.
Sure. I only wanted to know if some ideas exist or not...

Kind regards
Marcel