[Phpmyadmin-devel] Roadmap? Feature plans for PMA 3.0?

Garvin Hicking phpmyadmin at supergarv.de
Thu Apr 15 07:22:07 CEST 2004

Hi Olivier!

> using php-sessions, or a custom system, based for example on a mysql
> table?

I'd say to use the php-sessions. It should work out-of-the box, most of the
users also don't get it to installed the pma databases for the other
history/relation-features...

> just tell: how often a year do you change your PMA colors and
> maxrows? :)

I have my preference, but on an installation of a webhoster where one
installation serves 1000-2000 users, one could want to have a light mode, the
other one the graphical mode, one with 2 nested levels, one with 5 levels. One
user wants to have a large left frame, the other one has a resolution of
1600x1200 and wants to display the right column tables in 3 columns...I do see a
need for adjusting to "per-user" not "per-installation" directives.

>> - Have a nice installer
>
> +++  (even before 3.0 :)

Yes, that's true. :)

> This would be interesting, but would not be phpmyadmin anymore.
> This could be called 'PearDbAdmin', 'PhpDbAdmin', 'PhpAdodbAdmin',
> etc... :)

Right, but it would be a neat thing. However I (realistically) do think that
we'll never get to that goal. :-)

> - get rid of all the HTML/javascript code from the PHP files
>   -> templates. would require quite a lot of work, so
>      probably it would be good to start from scratch

True, very much work indeed, and it would be harder to easily prototype new
functions :)

> - newbie / expert mode  (newbie -> for example to let my mother update
>   her guestbook entries, expert -> for php devels, etc.)

Right, some kind of privilege system would be great (but lot work). So that you
can show/hide certain features to certain users.

> - use "standard" gettext/po files for translations

What would be the benefits?

> - online interface for translations (put all the strings in a db, to
>   let the translators update their stuff directely)

Honestly I think the current way is also very easy to edit multiple strings at
once. It would be harder to do on a browser - and just think of the different
ISO/UTF8 strings, that could all be messed up by browser input.

Regards,
Garvin.