[Phpmyadmin-devel] about LIKE '%...%'

Garvin Hicking phpmyadmin at supergarv.de
Tue Aug 10 01:35:04 CEST 2004

Hi Marc!

> We got some negative reports about putting this operator first in the
> list. Concerns are about performance (wildcard being slower, and in
> case of monster tables, slower meant > 45 min.).

I must say I particulary enjoyed having that %...% as default. In my daily
working (and those of my co-workers) we seldomly use exact matching when we're
searching.

I do think we should leave that as default, and when users want to have an exact
match, it's no problem for them to switch to the exact matching.

> We could also move the list of operators from tbl_select.php to config,
> but this would probably be too much.

Yes, I think that would be too much overhead...

$0.02,
Garvin

--
Garvin Hicking   | Web-Entwickler | Make me happy:
www.supergarv.de | #ICQ 21392242  | http://wishes.garv.info/