[Phpmyadmin-devel] MySQL 4.1 and column comments

Sun Nov 28 11:46:05 CET 2004

Alexander M. Turek a écrit :

> Hi list,
>
> There's a small change that I'd like to see in 2.6.1, but I don't have
> the time to implement it.
>
> MySQL 4.1 supports adding comments on column level. Afaik, phpMyAdmin
> only supports its own column comments, but not MySQL's native ones.
>
> On top of that, I think that column comments don't fit into the relation
> overview. I'd rather move the interface to the table structure editor.
>
> This should be the preferred way to perform this operation.
>
> Comments?
>
> Regards,

Hi Alexander,

The "internal" column comments interface is _already_ available
in the table structure editor. So I guess it's just a matter of
removing it from the relation view...
The only advantage of having it in the relation view is to quickly
add column comments to many columns. I think we could remove this
"feature".

For the 4.1 column commenting, yes it would be a welcome addition.
I wonder if we should do like in the relation view, where we offer
both internal relations and InnoDB relations. Some people might already
have internal column comments and we have to show them, but they want
to add native 4.1 comments. We could even do the switch ourselves.

Please comment on this, then I could find some time this week to
implement it.

Marc