[Phpmyadmin-devel] MySQL 4.1 and column comments

Garvin Hicking phpmyadmin at supergarv.de
Mon Nov 29 03:05:01 CET 2004

Hi Marc!

> For the 4.1 column commenting, yes it would be a welcome addition.
> I wonder if we should do like in the relation view, where we offer
> both internal relations and InnoDB relations. Some people might already have
> internal column comments and we have to show them, but they want to add native
> 4.1 comments. We could even do the switch ourselves.

I'd vote for using the 4.1 internal structure, if available instead of our
internal one. We'd need to abstract all calls to fetching comments to be
replacable with a SQLquery to get column comments. There's much depending on
column comments (like "show table aliases in left frame" option and embedding
comments in SQL dump), so I don't think a user should be able to enter differing
comments in our infrastructure or the MySQL one. I also don't think it's
necessary to offer the user a switch to use either infrastructure.

Or does anyone think there'll be a need that a user wants to store his comments
in PMA DB instead of MySQL 4.1?

Regards,
Garvin.

--