[Phpmyadmin-devel] Still supporting Netscape Version < 6

MK Keck mkkeck at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 25 04:52:04 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I'm thinking about the "old" Netscape Comunicator (smaller Version 6.0
like 4.78 or so):
should we still supporting this browser with our JS-Functions, CSS-
Styles and interface?

I think, many people are using a newer browser and/or better browser
like Firefox 0.9.3, Mozilla or - of course - InternetExplorer, which is
normaly included as Version 5.0 (and higher) on nearly every MS Windows.
So, for better code-handling and many not supported W3C in Netscape < 6
(no CSS2, no DOM) it may easier for all developers, to stop supporting
the old Netscape Browsers (as we done with PHP version < 4.3).

The PMA version 2.5.7-pl1 works fine with the old Netscape, but the new
PMA versions (> 2.6.0) not really. I've tested - and some things are not
available or won't work correct (multi submit, showing/hiding content on
export page, ...).

Perhabs it would be a good thing to discuss about it, make some infos in
documentation and/or building a browser check (which checks for NS 4 and
gives the user a hint to download a newer browser ;) ).

What are you thinking about this?

Michael