[Phpmyadmin-devel] Still supporting Netscape Version < 6

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Mon Oct 25 05:01:02 CEST 2004

Hi

On Mon 25. 10. 2004 13:25, MK Keck wrote:
> I'm thinking about the "old" Netscape Comunicator (smaller Version 6.0
> like 4.78 or so):
> should we still supporting this browser with our JS-Functions, CSS-
> Styles and interface?
>
> I think, many people are using a newer browser and/or better browser
> like Firefox 0.9.3, Mozilla or - of course - InternetExplorer, which is
> normaly included as Version 5.0 (and higher) on nearly every MS Windows.
> So, for better code-handling and many not supported W3C in Netscape < 6
> (no CSS2, no DOM) it may easier for all developers, to stop supporting
> the old Netscape Browsers (as we done with PHP version < 4.3).
>
> The PMA version 2.5.7-pl1 works fine with the old Netscape, but the new
> PMA versions (> 2.6.0) not really. I've tested - and some things are not
> available or won't work correct (multi submit, showing/hiding content on
> export page, ...).
>
> Perhabs it would be a good thing to discuss about it, make some infos in
> documentation and/or building a browser check (which checks for NS 4 and
> gives the user a hint to download a newer browser ;) ).
>
> What are you thinking about this?

I'd drop support for old browsers, however it should work without JS (avoid
using only-JS solution when not necessary). Looking at my web stats, Netscape
at any version is really minor browser (about 1 %, most of that goes to 7.x
versions), while Firefox and Mozilla have quite large number of users. Also
for MSIE 90% is for MSIE 6, so compatibility with older should not be so
important.

--
    Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com