[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: setup script

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Thu Dec 8 10:05:05 CET 2005

Hi

Thanks a lot for feedback!

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:27:52 -0500
Marc Delisle <Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca> wrote:

> Congratulations Michal for this excellent script. I have a few comments:
>
> - In the Servers section, could we have just one dropdown of servers,
> then the 2 buttons Delete and Edit next to the dropdown?

It is planned, however this way was simpler to implement ;-).

> - In the doc, should we give the UNIX commands for proper permission and
> ownership of the config directory? We are already doing it in the doc
> for another subject.

I'm adding it right now :-).

> - PMA's behavior (with default configuration) has always been to try to
> connect to a localhost server with root and no password (to match
> default MySQL installation), but now I suggest that PMA goes into setup
> mode if no config.inc.php is found.

There are still situations where it will work without any setup. So
going directly to setup will just break those situations. We could
direct to setup when connecting to root at localhost without password
fails.

> - Maybe in the Servers section or in the "Configure Server" dialog a
> "Add default MySQL server" button or something like that.

When you add first server it is default server, for rest I start with
empty and default to cookie auth.

> - Maybe in the Configuration section, display Save and Load in grey when
> they are not available, with a link to the doc explaining why.

Big red message when entering setup is not enough?

--
    Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com