[Phpmyadmin-devel] Registration / Installationstatisitics

Marc Delisle Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca
Thu Oct 13 05:20:10 CEST 2005

Sebastian Mendel a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> how about add an 'Registration' in main.php which leads to local
> registration form
>

> this form could collect, of course after explaining and asking for
> permission:
>
>  - number of servers/databases/tables handled with this installation
>  - currently installed versions of PHP, PMA, MySQL
>  - used extension mysql, mysqli
>  - changed configuration (different from default)
>  - used theme
>  - registration information (email, name, company, ... )
>  - hash of installation path (as unique id for installation)
>  - hash of server connection string (as unique id for servers)
>  - a free textfield for additional comments
>

> this can be stored local, or at least a hash over all, to recognize
> changes and update registration
>
> and of course in the phpMyAdmin project database
>
> so we can
>
>  - make most used settings to default
>  - send security alerts on specific versions
>  - statistics on used versions
>  - and much more ...

Hi Sebastian,
I guess that if we implement this, the registration form should be
displayed only to a super-user.

But I'm not sure I like the idea, for those reasons:

- I would not like to have to handle all this data
- I think that users would have a negative perception, seeing "registration"
- if we use the project database for this, we would have to remove our
demo (believe me, for security reasons)
- the whole user settings system should migrate to db-based user
preferences, and/or an installation GUI
- about the alerts, we already send them, with indications on the
affected versions

I think that download stats about themes indicate correctly the
popularity. Besides, each user of a multi-user installation can choose
his theme, so you want each user to participate in the registration?

Marc