[Phpmyadmin-devel] Registration / Installationstatisitics

Sebastian Mendel lists at sebastianmendel.de
Thu Oct 13 08:06:29 CEST 2005

Marc Delisle wrote:
> Sebastian Mendel a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> how about add an 'Registration' in main.php which leads to local
>> registration form
>>

>> this form could collect, of course after explaining and asking for
>> permission:
>>
>>  - number of servers/databases/tables handled with this installation
>>  - currently installed versions of PHP, PMA, MySQL
>>  - used extension mysql, mysqli
>>  - changed configuration (different from default)
>>  - used theme
>>  - registration information (email, name, company, ... )
>>  - hash of installation path (as unique id for installation)
>>  - hash of server connection string (as unique id for servers)
>>  - a free textfield for additional comments
>>

>> this can be stored local, or at least a hash over all, to recognize
>> changes and update registration
>>
>> and of course in the phpMyAdmin project database
>>
>> so we can
>>
>>  - make most used settings to default
>>  - send security alerts on specific versions
>>  - statistics on used versions
>>  - and much more ...
>
> Hi Sebastian,
> I guess that if we implement this, the registration form should be
> displayed only to a super-user.

yes

> But I'm not sure I like the idea, for those reasons:
>
> - I would not like to have to handle all this data
> - I think that users would have a negative perception, seeing
> "registration"

than let us call it "help for improvement" ;-)

> - if we use the project database for this, we would have to remove our
> demo (believe me, for security reasons)
> - the whole user settings system should migrate to db-based user
> preferences, and/or an installation GUI
> - about the alerts, we already send them, with indications on the
> affected versions

i mean to registered users email addresses, who are registered with the
affected version

> I think that download stats about themes indicate correctly the
> popularity. Besides, each user of a multi-user installation can choose
> his theme, so you want each user to participate in the registration?

no, not really - only a 'installation'-registration

--
Sebastian Mendel

www.sebastianmendel.de
www.sf.net/projects/phpdatetime | www.sf.net/projects/phptimesheet