[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: Registration / Installationstatisitics

Sebastian Mendel lists at sebastianmendel.de
Thu Oct 13 08:02:05 CEST 2005

Michal Čihař wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu 13. 10. 2005 12:24, Sebastian Mendel wrote:
>> how about add an 'Registration' in main.php which leads to local
>> registration form
>
> People don't like registrations, I'm not sure whether effort invested
> into this will return in any positive value.
>
>> this form could collect, of course after explaining and asking for
>> permission:
>>
>>   - number of servers/databases/tables handled with this installation
>
> number of servers is configuration, however rest are dynamic values
> changing quite a lot over time

you are right, ...

>>   - currently installed versions of PHP, PMA, MySQL
>>   - used extension mysql, mysqli
>>   - changed configuration (different from default)
>>   - used theme
>
> this is per user settings, doesn't make much sense to collect it

oh, of course per user settings not ...

>>   - registration information (email, name, company, ... )
>>   - hash of installation path (as unique id for installation)
>>   - hash of server connection string (as unique id for servers)
>>   - a free textfield for additional comments
>>

>> this can be stored local, or at least a hash over all, to recognize
>> changes and update registration
>
> stored where? in pmadb? this is currently only place where you can save
> anything, but it is not enabled on most installations

or just in a file (just test for write privilelgs, if not no error)

>>   - send security alerts on specific versions
>
> You can't handle this as vendors often backport security patches, so you
> don't know whether version user has installed is really vulnerable.

alerts only on first time to 'registered' users with this version to
given email adress - when the security alert comes the first the vendors
will mostly not have applied any patch adressing this issue

--
Sebastian Mendel

www.sebastianmendel.de
www.sf.net/projects/phpdatetime | www.sf.net/projects/phptimesheet