[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: Registration / Installationstatisitics

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Thu Oct 13 06:47:13 CEST 2005

Hi

On Thu 13. 10. 2005 12:24, Sebastian Mendel wrote:
> how about add an 'Registration' in main.php which leads to local
> registration form

People don't like registrations, I'm not sure whether effort invested
into this will return in any positive value.

> this form could collect, of course after explaining and asking for
> permission:
>
>   - number of servers/databases/tables handled with this installation

number of servers is configuration, however rest are dynamic values
changing quite a lot over time

>   - currently installed versions of PHP, PMA, MySQL
>   - used extension mysql, mysqli
>   - changed configuration (different from default)
>   - used theme

this is per user settings, doesn't make much sense to collect it

>   - registration information (email, name, company, ... )
>   - hash of installation path (as unique id for installation)
>   - hash of server connection string (as unique id for servers)
>   - a free textfield for additional comments
>

> this can be stored local, or at least a hash over all, to recognize
> changes and update registration

stored where? in pmadb? this is currently only place where you can save
anything, but it is not enabled on most installations

> and of course in the phpMyAdmin project database

This would mean dropping demo ... hmm I'd rather host this database than
demo, so maybe it could be solved.

> so we can
>
>   - make most used settings to default

Yes, this would be helpful.

>   - send security alerts on specific versions

You can't handle this as vendors often backport security patches, so you
don't know whether version user has installed is really vulnerable.

--
    Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com