[Phpmyadmin-devel] config.inc.php (again)

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Tue Jun 27 11:37:59 CEST 2006

Hi all

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:10:51 -0400
Marc Delisle <Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca> wrote:

> I would like to reopen the discussion about this issue. I know you're
> tired of it, but there are lots of problems for users.
>
> I noticed at least one distro that just copy our
> libraries/config.default.php into ../config.inc.php!

I also got lost in Debian way of configuring phpMyAdmin, which has
only some wrapper instead of config.inc.php and includes other pieces
from various places.

> Unfortunately, many users do not read the doc about installation, and
> even for some who did read it, there are still problems:
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1471501&group_id=23067&atid=377408
>
> Having to close all browser windows is another thing that is not evident
> for many.

This is bug and should be fixed. There is IMHO no technical reason why
this should be needed it's only something broken in caching code.

> For some reasons, the setup script is not as popular as we hoped
> (probably due to the directory manipulations related to its use).

Maybe documentation should be simplified as you can use setup script
without any directory manipulation, you only can not save file then.
I'm open to ideas to make it simple and at least a bit secure.

> My opinion is that we have to think about was it "normal" and expected
> for the configuration of OSS products.

Mantis has setup script which requires write permissions for writing
config, Mediawiki has installer which needs similar amount of manual
work as ours (it IMHO can not be done different safely). Both don't
provide default config file. I don't know others...

> Is it too late to revert to our old way of keeping BC by compensating
> with code for missing options?

I don't see how BC code is related to first setup. The BC code is IMHO
independant to config.