[Phpmyadmin-devel] config.inc.php (again)

Marc Delisle Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca
Tue Jun 27 15:02:11 CEST 2006

Michal Čihař a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:10:51 -0400
> Marc Delisle <Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca> wrote:
>
>> I would like to reopen the discussion about this issue. I know you're
>> tired of it, but there are lots of problems for users.
>>
>> I noticed at least one distro that just copy our
>> libraries/config.default.php into ../config.inc.php!
>
> I also got lost in Debian way of configuring phpMyAdmin, which has
> only some wrapper instead of config.inc.php and includes other pieces
> from various places.
>
>> Unfortunately, many users do not read the doc about installation, and
>> even for some who did read it, there are still problems:
>> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1471501&group_id=23067&atid=377408
>>
>> Having to close all browser windows is another thing that is not evident
>> for many.
>
> This is bug and should be fixed. There is IMHO no technical reason why
> this should be needed it's only something broken in caching code.

OK I'll have a look at this bug.

>> For some reasons, the setup script is not as popular as we hoped
>> (probably due to the directory manipulations related to its use).
>
> Maybe documentation should be simplified as you can use setup script
> without any directory manipulation, you only can not save file then.
> I'm open to ideas to make it simple and at least a bit secure.
>
>> My opinion is that we have to think about was it "normal" and expected
>> for the configuration of OSS products.
>
> Mantis has setup script which requires write permissions for writing
> config, Mediawiki has installer which needs similar amount of manual
> work as ours (it IMHO can not be done different safely). Both don't
> provide default config file. I don't know others...

I checked some other products:

gallery 2: no default config file.

moodle: config-dist.php present but creates config.php if this
file is not found; then attempts to save it, otherwise offers to download it

mambo,joomla: in manual installation, they ask to rename
configuration.php-dist to configuration.php

serendipity: creates serendipity_config_local.inc.php based
on web configuration form

egroupware: generates a downloadable config file

postnuke: config.php present

fudforum: install script that must be deleted after installation
and that generates the config file

phpBB: an empty config.php!

phorum: config.php.sample for db preferences

The main argument in favor of having a config.inc.php is probably that
there has been a config.inc.php in phpMyAdmin since 1998, so in general
people expect it.

>> Is it too late to revert to our old way of keeping BC by compensating
>> with code for missing options?
>
> I don't see how BC code is related to first setup. The BC code is IMHO
> independant to config.

One of the reasons to stop having config.inc.php in the kit was to avoid
   having to keep the BC code up to date.