[Phpmyadmin-devel] Future of phpMyAdmin

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Thu May 25 13:39:05 CEST 2006

Hi all

Sorry for long mail, but I thing we should somehow face to future.
Silence in mailing lists and CVS doesn't indicate anything good.

It looks like all current team members are quite busy with other stuff
or don't have motivation to work on phpMyAdmin. We're way behind
current MySQL features by not supporting views and stored procedures,
which even can not be entered as SQL as changing delimiter completely
chokes our SQL parser/spliter.

I myself hardly find time to do some work on phpMyAdmin when there are
other project which attract me more and there is not only coding I want
to do. Partly it is caused by me needs - I no longer require new
features from phpMyAdmin for daily work, partly by lack of motivation
for digging into quite complex parts of code.

We probably need fresh blood for team, but I don't see anybody who
could be interested for this. Anyway fresh blood doesn't mean long
time active developer. Our latest acquisition (Sebastian) was very
active in first six months (or so, I don't recall exact numbers) and
then he seems to run into same problems as all others. This seems to
tell me there is something wrong with project. Is it it's code base?
Are team members not enough supportive? Probably partly both, but I
can't tell real reason.

There is need to move further, in current state we lack many needed
features, which are requested. We won't loose our position in MySQL
administration in near future as there is not much competence right
now. However there are growing interesting projects like TurboDbAdmin
[1] or even something like MySQL-Front [2] with PHP tunnel. They all
have at least advantage of doing operations immediately and
interactively and are not that limited by HTML/HTTP as phpMyAdmin.

Sorry I can't propose where to go. Maybe we should take part on SoC [3]
with some larger stuff (eg. stored procedure functions), but it's too
late for it right now.

1. http://turboajax.com/turbodbadmin/
2. http://www.mysqlfront.de/
3. http://code.google.com/soc/