[Phpmyadmin-devel] Templates

Arnór arnor at netvistun.is
Wed May 31 04:57:07 CEST 2006

Michal Čihař wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, 30 May 2006 15:59:55 +0200
> Sebastian Mendel <lists at sebastianmendel.de> wrote:
>
>> are there any reasons against introducing Smarty as template engine with
>> phpMyAdmin? And of course ship it with phpMyAdmin?

I doesn't get my vote, I don't think it's a good idea. Main reasons:

1. The benefits are very small except for a very small group of people.
I actually don't see a single reason why this would be implemented,
things like color adjustments, switching logos and the like are already
possible and pretty easy.
2. The development of additional features would take a longer time + the
added complexity when debugging.
3. The switch to smarty templates would take forever (duke nukem forever
kind of forever)
4. Smarty, if not used right, causes a lot of overhead, even when the
templates get cached. Expect to see at least 0.1-0.2 seconds added to
the current load time.