[Phpmyadmin-devel] AJAX UI Project

Sebastian Mendel lists at sebastianmendel.de
Fri Nov 24 12:20:57 CET 2006

Robin H. Johnson schrieb:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 04:40:10AM -0500, Marc Delisle wrote:
>> I read that AJAX generates more trips to the server (even if it looks
>> like the page is refreshed less often), so what if someone does not want
>> that?
> I'd like to echo Marc's comment here. AJAX works fine when you have low
> latency, but with high latencies (think satellite links where the
> downstream latency is 250ms [geosynchronous orbit and back], and
> upstream is often higher), and it becomes a lot more of a problem.
> I used such a connection on a ship at one point, and despite being a
> 15Mbit pipe, it was unusable for anything that expected interactivity.
>
> I have no objections to AJAX support, but there must be a way to turn it
> off.

an option to turn it off could be usefull,

but the problem you mention above should be handled transparently by the
application

the ajax in the application is responsible to interact with the customer
- not the server - so the ajax has to handle delays and take proper actions.

is see no difference in waiting for ajax to transmit and recieve data -
or waiting for a whole page to be loaded after submitting the form ...
the only difference is that loading the whole page will even take longer
than ajax loading only relevant data ...

--
Sebastian Mendel

www.sebastianmendel.de