[Phpmyadmin-devel] AJAX UI Project

Robin H. Johnson robbat2 at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 24 11:39:01 CET 2006

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 04:40:10AM -0500, Marc Delisle wrote:
> I read that AJAX generates more trips to the server (even if it looks
> like the page is refreshed less often), so what if someone does not want
> that?
I'd like to echo Marc's comment here. AJAX works fine when you have low
latency, but with high latencies (think satellite links where the
downstream latency is 250ms [geosynchronous orbit and back], and
upstream is often higher), and it becomes a lot more of a problem.
I used such a connection on a ship at one point, and despite being a
15Mbit pipe, it was unusable for anything that expected interactivity.

I have no objections to AJAX support, but there must be a way to turn it
off.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2 at users.sourceforge.net