[Phpmyadmin-devel] @, display_errors, ob_*

Marc Delisle Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca
Fri Feb 2 13:00:45 CET 2007

Sebastian Mendel a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> i would once more vote for removing this nasty @s
>

> if it is really a problem for you we could disable displaying of errors
> in common.lib.php
>
> or using ob_*() function to catch all output till and of common.lib.php and
>

> @ does not only hide error messages from being displayed but also hides
> them from being logged
>
> just disabling display errors can also lead to the same problem if
> logging of errors is also disabled
>
> if using ob_*() we can catch all output (where no output should happen)
> and check this - and than can present the user that there are some
> errors occurred and they should check there error log file and/or enable
> it and/or tell the administrators about this
>

> ob_*() is fine till no 'official' output is happening - but later this
> is not possible - so we could also use our own error-handler
>

> any opinions?

Hi Sebastian,
I have an opinion ... and facts :)

Opinion: I agree with you ... in theory.

Facts: Nexen Services are doing a poll of servers running PHP and they
were able to sample 11000 of them. This is not a large percentage over
the millions of servers, but it's a rather large population. Look what
they found in November 2006:

http://www.nexen.net/images/stories/phpinfos/display_errors.png

So, what would happen for users of these 80% servers if we remove the @'s ?

Remember that in many cases, the user of phpMyAdmin does not control his
server's settings.

Marc