[Phpmyadmin-devel] changelog strcutre

Marc Delisle Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca
Mon Feb 19 16:36:57 CET 2007

Michal Čihař a écrit :
> Hi
>
> sorry for not commenting so long, I delayed it for later, when I will
> have more time and then I forgot :-).
>
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:29:56 +0100
> Sebastian Mendel <lists at sebastianmendel.de> wrote:
>
>> how about changing our changelog structure?
>>
>> are you all happy with current structure?
>

>> some suggestion:
>>
>>   - date only once per day
>
> Why to include date at all? I thing only thing which is really
> interesting to changelog reader is version information. Details are
> always available in subversion.

I would prefer to keep the date because it's easier to read directly in
the ChangeLog, instead of doing research in svn.

>>   - prefix type if change: bugfix, change, new
>
> There is always question what is change and what is new...

Yeah I was thinking the same. A new feature would be "new", a change
would be a change of behavior like what happens with the top navi icon?

>>   - add module info, f.e. sqlparser, config, themes, import, ...
>
> Ok for me.

Ok for me too, but we have to be careful, trying to use the same terms
consistently.

>> 2006-07-13
>>    User - USer
>
> Why is here name twice?

Maybe Sebastian meant:
Marc Delisle - lem9

>>      - BUGFIX: #123456 - bug report title
>>      - BUGFIX: some notices
>
> repeating BUGFIX on each line looks a bit overhead for me. How about
> only sign which will determine type of record?
>
> 1.2.3
>
>  - bug #123465 [themes] - fixed something (User Name <user at nowhere.org>)
>  + RFE #654321 [gui] - added support for blah and make it look
>    better (Another User <user at somewhere.org>)

I'm not sure I like the syntax
- BUGFIX
+ NEW
/ CHANGE

Is there some convention somewhere about these symbols? Is this based on
diff's output?

I would prefer

* BUGFIX
* NEW
* CHANGE

> BTW: When at this: try to commit to subversion with same message as you
> write in changelog.

Good point. Here, cut&paste is useful!
Why, oh why can't we generate the ChangeLog from subversion's info?