[Phpmyadmin-devel] License, again

cand. inf. Alexander M. Turek me at derrabus.de
Wed Jun 25 16:16:46 CEST 2008

Hi there,

Marc Delisle schrieb:
 > Sebastian Mendel a écrit :
 >> companies (including hosting companies) that provide access to a
 >> modified phpMyAdmin installation (SaaS) or provide a pre-installed
 >> copy of a modified phpMyAdmin.
 >
 > Ok. Well, I am part of this group of persons that believe that the
 > modifications should be made public, according to the spirit of GPL.

I would agree with Marc and in the case that it would come to a vote
among all the former and current devs of phpMyAdmin, mine would be:
stick with GPL. I don't know, how much AMT code is still in pma, though. :-)

My point is that a modified pma should not be something people make
money with.

I see the problems, hosters might have with releasing their
modifications under the GPL, if those affect for instance interfaces to
their own software. An idea might be, to allow those private
modifications for certain parts, let's say the auth system or the
privileges page. That means, that those parts of the code would be put
under the AGPL. But anyway, you still would have to ask the all devs of
those parts, which means, you would have to study CVS and SVN logs,
tracker items, ... I wouldn't want to do that, do you? ;-)

Regards,

Alexander