[Phpmyadmin-devel] Git anyone?

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Fri Aug 21 14:33:29 CEST 2009

Hi

Dne Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:04:16 -0400
Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):

> I would say that the question is not about "some of you"; we must decide
> this, based on the majority of people who are currently submitting SVN
> patches. I would not like them to be dissuaded to contribute.

Well I'd not say this is is about the decision, but rather testing
whether there would be interest into doing such thing. If more people
would be interested in this, it could push others to learn it. On the
other side if nobody except me sees advantage in such change, I'm not
going to spend my time on pushing it.

> For me, I don't use git and am not sure that we would need its features
> very often; also, for the next GSoC we can plan things differently,
> looking how to improve work with branches.

Well there are more things where it might be helpful (eg. making changes
in more branches, what is right now basically manual work). Or just it
does not have some problems (as you do most things locally, it is
generally much faster and you are not doomed when server is badly
reachable because it is heavy loaded).

What I really hate in last days is that just svn update of my
phpmyadmin tree takes several minutes. Having fast computer and fast
internet access, such operation should be fast as well.

If you want to read some more differences you can read here:

http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitSvnComparsion

To see how to control git and how it differs from svn:

http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html

And finally if you want to spend several evenings by reading a git
book :-):

http://progit.org/