[Phpmyadmin-devel] Git anyone?

Derek Schaefer derek.schaefer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 17:00:26 CEST 2009

Hey all,

I figured I'd put in my two cents now that I've had a summer full of
experience dealing with branches in SVN...

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Herman van Rink<rink at initfour.nl> wrote:
> Marc Delisle wrote:
>> Michal Čihař a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> while merging GSoC branches, I really understood how painful are
>>> branches in SVN. I use Git for most other projects and such thing is
>>> much easier there as well as it adds some other benefits
>>> (eg. possibility to work offline).
>>>

>> About Subversion 1.6 branching and merging:
>> http://www.phpcult.com/blog/2009/08/subversion-1-6-branching-and-merging-caveats-and-how-to/

I have SVN 1.6.4, and tried to merge my branch back into the trunk
with that method, as well as any others I could find, and I still
ended up doing it manually. Therefore, I know I was using the correct
commands/syntax to merge it back (I used methods listed for 1.6 all
the way back to 1.0, I believe), so the problem was either SVN or I
set my branch up wrong (I used SVN copy, and from all I could find
this is the correct way). Not quite sure what to make of it.

For what it's worth, keeping my branch in sync with the trunk was
incredibly easy, so SVN does have that going for it.

> I'm sort-off back... but still catching up on some reading.
>
> As the link above points out it has become a bit easier to do merging in
> svn 'recently'.
> A while back when I was experimenting with git I noticed that svn now
> stores a property to keep track of which trunk changes have already been
> merged into your branch. After bringing your branch into sync, which is
> not limited to a single time, merging into trunk should be straightforward.
>
> My point being: The tools are more important then the architecture.
>
> Sure git has some very nice advantages, mainly being less reliant on the
> 'slow' sf.net svn server.
> But many users have svn experience and speaking for myself limited git
> experience.
>
> Either way is fine by me, I don't mind reading up on git.

After doing some preliminary reading, git does look promising. I don't
have any problem learning the new system (it appears rather
straight-forward, from what I have seen so far). Count me in if we
feel there to be enough of a benefit over SVN.