[Phpmyadmin-devel] UTF8 and connection encoding

Sebastian Mendel lists at sebastianmendel.de
Sun Feb 8 16:02:22 CET 2009

Hi All,

if someone changes connection setting in main.php from UTF-8 to
something else, all content from DB will be delivered with this encoding
to users Browser, but we say the document is UTF-8 and strings coming
from us (language files) are in UTF-8

so we end up with a mixed encoding in the HTML output

there are two options:

- setting PHP output encoding

http://php.net/manual/en/mbstring.http.php

do not know if this takes care of already mixed encodings

- do not allow switching connection charset

why is this required anyway?

i would vote for dropping, as is see no requirement for this, any modern
browser should be UTF-8 capable

any comments suggestions?

--
Sebastian Mendel