[Phpmyadmin-devel] UTF8 and connection encoding

Marc Delisle Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca
Mon Feb 9 14:10:55 CET 2009

cand. inf. Alexander M. Turek a écrit :
> Hi Sebastian and list,
>
> Sebastian Mendel schrieb:
>> if someone changes connection setting in main.php from UTF-8 to
>> something else, all content from DB will be delivered with this encoding
>> to users Browser, but we say the document is UTF-8 and strings coming
>> from us (language files) are in UTF-8
>
> Who changed this anyway? In my original MySQL 4.1 compatibility code,
> the option to change the connection charset was intentionally not given
> to the user - only for dump files, afaik.

Alexander,
you did this:
http://phpmyadmin.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/phpmyadmin/tags/RELEASE_2_6_0PL3/phpMyAdmin/main.php?r1=6062&r2=6068

for this bug:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/index.php?func=detail&aid=984912&group_id=23067&atid=377408

where you said:

"My suggestion is to let the user choose his connection
character set on main.php. In addition, we should imho force
the users to convert their pma DBs to UTF-8. As these tables
contain metadata and should be able to store strings in any
language, this would be the best solution anyway."

So it was useful back then, but nowadays we could remove this feature or
at least make it configurable and not display it by default.