[Phpmyadmin-devel] Automated testing

Herman van Rink rink at initfour.nl
Wed Jul 15 05:05:46 CEST 2009

Hi,

I've played around with phpunit a bit as of late, and think we could
make better use of this for pma.

The PMA_formatNumberByteDown_test test still fails for me on a
conversion....  does this pass on other systems?

I've setup several  new testcases that uses Selenium RC [1] to replay
actual browser behaviour.
My first test in this is a case where I log in and do some basic
browsing and change the test users password.
The test scenario's are easily recorded using the Firefox Selenium IDE
add-on. [2]
Testing can happen in Firefox, Internet Explorer and other browsers.

I've set up a cronjob which would run the test suite e.g. every day on
trunk, and plan to expand this to the latest testing branch. Any errors
would be mailed to me. If others are interested I could sent this to a
list address.

Issues:
- Using a self-signed ssl certificate with Selenium RC is a pain, using
non-ssl for now. [4]

- Somehow selenium does not like the language selection on the cookie
login page, forced English in my config for now.

- The current naming scheme for test cases seems to be a bit off,
according to the phpunit defaults.
When running through wui.php it works, but when running individual tests
the underscores in the class/file names are interpreted as directory
separator.
I therefore propose a CamelCase format for the new selenium classes.

- The wiki has no info about testing, I propose a Devel:UnitTesting page

I hope to soon commit these changes to trunk, any feedback would be very
welcome.