[Phpmyadmin-devel] ideas / concerns / problems [about|with] user settings feature

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Mon Jul 20 11:04:09 CEST 2009

Zeeshan M. a écrit :

> _Here are my notes on the code that I have written so far:_
>
> - I have commented out user settings interface for "Default Language" as
> only one of the languages show up in the drop down menu.  And when I hit
> submit that language is set to default for some weird reasons.
>
> - The current value of a setting will be selected on page load in drop
> down menu element, and it will be printed in text box input.  The
> mechanism is a bit confusing, and I will work on it first thing tomorrow
> morning.  Any suggestions to deal with this problem differently?
>
> - need to define an additional method in sql driver class to select all
> of the settings' values at once
>
> - need to implement a sophisticated interface to handle errors
We already have error handling code, look at the existing phpMyAdmin
code for $cfg['Error_Handler'].

> - SQL query still does not produce expected result. I am wondering I
> need to link queries with server, but I was not able to figure out how
> to extract link to connection server.

The standard way of accessing the pmadb is via PMA_query_as_controluser().

> - I see that some of the configuration settings can simple be changed
> through ./libraries/config.default.php such as PropertiesIconic.  I am
> wondering that these settings are directly extracted from config file.
> So, in this case, may be create a new config file to set these settings.

What is you plan with the font size setting? It's already taken care of,
on the main page.

For the default language, I don't think that this is much needed, as the
current language selectors work well and are able to detect the
browser's defined language.

The CSS should go into the themes and not directly in scripts.