[Phpmyadmin-devel] ideas / concerns / problems [about|with] user settings feature

Zeeshan M. zeeshan.jp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 08:19:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

Thanks so much for all the help. :-)

- Using PMA_query_as_controluser() gives me "undefined method" error.  I am
using PMA_DBI_fetch_result() instead which seems to work OK.

- I have created a readme file, which, for now contains dummy data for
pma_perm_usr_pref table.

- I will include the link to usr setting interface in navigation.php, and
remove it from main homepage later on.  For now, I want to focus on
implementing back-end logic for the form.

- I put the custom CSS code I wrote in all three CSS files in
/themes/original/css/ directory but it did not seem to be working.  So, I
have included back the CSS code into the original file, too.

- All current values of settings are stored in vars in the following
format:  $current_[setting_name] after being extracted from the database.  I
was initially thinking about using JS to select the current value by
default.  My implementation required looking up index of the "current value"
(extracted from db) in select menu.  I hope it it possible, but I could not
find a away to accomplish it.  In an ideal case, if I know the index, I can
apply 'selected="selected"' attribute to that specific option.  Any other
suggestions, please?

- My most recent plan for this project included having a submit for each
setting along with the submit to update all the settings.  I originally
thought about it as I was thinking it would be a better user interaction
practice.  But now I am thinking it might complicate things for the user if
he sees multiple submit button.  May be having some nifty little image next
to each setting, and using AJAX to update the setting will do justice to
users.  Well, for now, there is only one submit button that would update all
settings.

I am projecting that I may be able to complete the front-end user interface,
and back-end logic to fetch and update settings by the end of this week.
Hopefully, if goals are accomplished, I will move on to implementing AJAX
for an enhanced user interaction and experience, which may take about half
of a week.

If things go according to plans, hopefully, I may work on the auto table
update feature for tables in phpmyadmin database you expected me to do.  I
really find this project very interesting, and I think it will be a
worthwhile learning experience.

I am also attaching the most recent version of patch.  There is not much
development in terms of processing user input.  But it might be of some use.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Zeeshan Mughal
Email:  zeeshanmughal at ieee.org