[Phpmyadmin-devel] ideas / concerns / problems [about|with] user settings feature

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Tue Jul 21 10:19:16 CEST 2009

Zeeshan M. a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Thanks so much for all the help. :-)
>
> - Using PMA_query_as_controluser() gives me "undefined method" error.  I
> am using PMA_DBI_fetch_result() instead which seems to work OK.

Not acceptable, as it won't work when the logged-in user has no access
to the pmadb. There is a reason why it's undefined: you did not include
the library file where this is defined.

> - I have created a readme file, which, for now contains dummy data for
> pma_perm_usr_pref table.
>
> - I will include the link to usr setting interface in navigation.php,
> and remove it from main homepage later on.  For now, I want to focus on
> implementing back-end logic for the form.
>
> - I put the custom CSS code I wrote in all three CSS files in
> /themes/original/css/ directory but it did not seem to be working.  So,
> I have included back the CSS code into the original file, too.
Maybe it did not work because you did not clear your browser cache.

> - All current values of settings are stored in vars in the following
> format:  $current_[setting_name] after being extracted from the
> database.  I was initially thinking about using JS to select the current
> value by default.  My implementation required looking up index of the
> "current value" (extracted from db) in select menu.  I hope it it
> possible, but I could not find a away to accomplish it.  In an ideal
> case, if I know the index, I can apply 'selected="selected"' attribute
> to that specific option.  Any other suggestions, please?
>
> - My most recent plan for this project included having a submit for each
> setting along with the submit to update all the settings.  I originally
> thought about it as I was thinking it would be a better user interaction
> practice.  But now I am thinking it might complicate things for the user
> if he sees multiple submit button.  May be having some nifty little
> image next to each setting, and using AJAX to update the setting will do
> justice to users.  Well, for now, there is only one submit button that
> would update all settings.

When you edit a row in phpMyAdmin and you submit, there is logic that
checks which column has been changed and updates only what is needed.

> I am projecting that I may be able to complete the front-end user
> interface, and back-end logic to fetch and update settings by the end of
> this week.  Hopefully, if goals are accomplished, I will move on to
> implementing AJAX for an enhanced user interaction and experience, which
> may take about half of a week.

How many settings do you plan to cover?

> If things go according to plans, hopefully, I may work on the auto table
> update feature for tables in phpmyadmin database you expected me to do.
> I really find this project very interesting, and I think it will be a
> worthwhile learning experience.
>

> I am also attaching the most recent version of patch.  There is not much
> development in terms of processing user input.  But it might be of some use.

Please put your patches on phpMyAdmin's patch tracker instead of sending
them on this list.