[Phpmyadmin-devel] ideas / concerns / problems [about|with] user settings feature

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Thu Jul 30 11:20:30 CEST 2009

Hi

please configure your mailer to quote properly (and do not use html
mails), this way it is quite hard to track your replies.

Dne Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:55:52 -0400
"Zeeshan M." <zeeshan.jp at gmail.com> napsal(a):

> *
> Why do you change config defaults (libraries/config.default.php)?
> *
> I had to set pma db var equal to "phpmyadmin" as for some reasons it was not
> set to "phpmyadmin" by default.

Configuration changes should go to config.inc.php, these are *defaults*.

> *
> Why do you duplicate lot of information in permUsrPref class (user
> name, table name, database link,...)?*
>
> Such parameters are set only once in the constructor.  Can you please
> elaborate with a minimal example what do you mean by duplication?

You copy them from configuration, you should rather use directly
configuration data in your code.

> *In server_perm_storage.php there is a huge code duplication, please
> have just one piece code to handle setting the value and do not copy it
> for every available optiofn.*
>
> I thought each setting would have different test cases, that's why I set up
> conditional statements separately.  May be I can reduce code by generalizing
> test cases, but I am not sure if it would be a probable solution.  What are
> your thoughts?

Having defined list of variables with descriptions and functions to
call to verify input is correct. It would make code more readable even
when there will be more options.

--
	Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://phpmyadmin.cz