[Phpmyadmin-devel] translatewiki.net

Siebrand Mazeland s.mazeland at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 3 14:25:09 CEST 2009

Hi Michal,

> At translatewiki.net[2] we use the MediaWiki extension Translate[3] to
> facilitate the translation process. We import from and export to
> native product files. For this we have file format support
> components[4]. As far as I could assess, we have no problem supporting
> phpMyAdmin's current source format, although I have no tested yet.
> Output files for languages other than English will be clean (stripped
> of all comments). Links to some examples of supported file formats and
results below my signature.

We use comments to determine non translated messages, that might be
difference when compared to your examples.

[SM] That's probably something we need to assess after we possibly decide to
look further into cooperating (which I hope we will). Ideally there is no
duplication.

> >From our perspective it is important to get an idea if phpMyAdmin and
> translatewiki.net working together is something that has a chance. If
> so, I would like to go into more detail with one or a few of you, so
> we can work out the details and seek wide consensus again.

I generally think it is good idea to have a web interface. We already do
have it for documentation translation (using Pootle for that) and I thought
about adding support for our translations to Pootle, but never actually got
to it.

[SM] So here you have an offer that requires little work from your side, on
a platform with an established translators community. Now what? :) We also
have a 'page translation' feature that may fit your needs for the
documentation, but it is  probably too early to look into that yet.
Translatewiki.net can support gettext, too, though.

Cheers! Siebrand