[Phpmyadmin-devel] slave replication, load data from master

Tomas Srnka toms at linuxos.sk
Mon Jun 29 22:57:12 CEST 2009

Hello,

I've been working on my design for managing slave replication and I've
run into a problem.

To explain, slave replication works in a way, that it loads master log
(located on master server), where information about transactions are
stored. Everything is fine, if you are setting up replication on empty
server. However, once you have some data on master, you have to copy
them to slave server before slave replication is started. My original
idea was to use LOAD DATA FROM MASTER, but this feature is no longer
supported
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/load-data-from-master.html). One
of my ideas is to create some sort of export/import function for copying
data from master to slave with phpMyAdmin. Another possibility (for
large databases/tables) is to ask root (=user) to do it manually (with
mysqldump+mysql client).

If anyone has any better idea how to solve this problem, please let me know.

Thank you.

Tomas