[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC - Server Stats

Raj Shekhar rajlist at rajshekhar.net
Fri Apr 2 02:06:31 CEST 2010

In infinite wisdom Philip Frank <ich at philipfrank.de> wrote:

> Data collection: In the past, I used rrdtool to collect stats on a
> server. Its datastore has a limited size - over time old entries get
> merged together and the data gets thinner, but is never completely
> deleted. Unfortunately, it is not very portable.

The size of the RRD file does not increase over time.  THat is a
feature, not a bug :-) .  Merging of the older data (reducing the
granularity) is a side effect of this.  In my opinion, the way RRD
handles that is quite intelligent.  It would be hard to get that
functionality right using mysql and rollup tables.

Why do you say that RRDs are not portable?  I have seen them work on
bsd/linux (and on 32/64 bit).

--
Raj Shekhar
-