[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC - Server Stats

Herman van Rink rink at initfour.nl
Tue Apr 6 14:52:47 CEST 2010

Raj Shekhar wrote:
> In infinite wisdom Philip Frank <ich at philipfrank.de> wrote:
>

>> Data collection: In the past, I used rrdtool to collect stats on a
>> server. Its datastore has a limited size - over time old entries get
>> merged together and the data gets thinner, but is never completely
>> deleted. Unfortunately, it is not very portable.
>>

> The size of the RRD file does not increase over time.  THat is a
> feature, not a bug :-) .  Merging of the older data (reducing the
> granularity) is a side effect of this.  In my opinion, the way RRD
> handles that is quite intelligent.  It would be hard to get that
> functionality right using mysql and rollup tables.
>
> Why do you say that RRDs are not portable?  I have seen them work on
> bsd/linux (and on 32/64 bit).

I believe that their are rrd tools for many platforms available. But
this would add new requirements to the environment in which pma is
installed. It would also burden the administrator with extra complexity,
as a writable filesystem location and the privilege to execute external
binaries would be required.

One of the sweet things of pma is in my opinion that it works for the
most part out-of-the-box. We should be very careful not to lure people
with nice features, which these statistics would be, and then jump
through a complex installation.

I'm very curious if the mysql 5.1 event scheduler combined with pmadb
storage would be reliable and easy maintainable.

--
Met vriendelijke groet / Regards,

Herman van Rink
Initfour websolutions