[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC - Server Stats

Philip Frank ich at philipfrank.de
Sat Apr 3 15:36:14 CEST 2010

2010/4/2 Raj Shekhar <rajlist at rajshekhar.net>:
> In infinite wisdom Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:
>

>> The problem is not using server datastore - we already optionally use
>> lot of tables to store our information, but doing some periodic
>> collection. However I think having such thing as optional module is
>> okay.
>>

> mysql 5.1 has an event scheduler.  If you want to use mysql tables to
> store these counters, you can use that.
> <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/events-overview.html>
>
> In my experience, any serious DBA will have a nagios/cacti monitoring
> and metrics collection on their mysql box.  Has there been an interest
> shown by the users for this monitoring being done by phpmyadmin itself?
> OTOH, this feature will allow any small site to have a good collection
> of its database's metrics.
>
> (Excuse my ignorance about phpmyadmin's history and how its users use
> it)

thanks for pointing me towards the event scheduler, this could
probably be used to collect data on the server side. I would like to
keep my project focus as it is, but will keep in mind that adding a
server side data collector could be desired one day.

The goal of my project is not to compete with full-scale monitoring
tools like cacti, but simply to build something useful from the data
currently displayed on the server status page.