[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC - Server Stats

Raj Shekhar rajlist at rajshekhar.net
Fri Apr 2 21:47:12 CEST 2010

In infinite wisdom Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:

> The problem is not using server datastore - we already optionally use
> lot of tables to store our information, but doing some periodic
> collection. However I think having such thing as optional module is
> okay.

mysql 5.1 has an event scheduler.  If you want to use mysql tables to
store these counters, you can use that.
<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/events-overview.html>

In my experience, any serious DBA will have a nagios/cacti monitoring
and metrics collection on their mysql box.  Has there been an interest
shown by the users for this monitoring being done by phpmyadmin itself?
OTOH, this feature will allow any small site to have a good collection
of its database's metrics.

(Excuse my ignorance about phpmyadmin's history and how its users use
it)