[Phpmyadmin-devel] Templates in phpMyAdmin

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Mon Apr 5 15:45:36 CEST 2010

Silvan Troxler a écrit :
> Hello everyone
>
> Michael Keck and I were discussing about templates in PMA. We both
> would like to convert phpMyAdmin to use a template system. We did not
> make a decision yet on using Twig or Dwoo but are discussing that. I
> would like to contribute as a GSoC student for this transition. The
> problem is, that there is too much work to do for 12 weeks. That's why
> Michael and I were thinking about partitioning the tasks in order to
> be able to finish it faster. It would not be a real cooperation as we
> would define who is responsible for what section of PMA.
>
> I'm not sure whether Michael can or wants to be a mentor himself or it
> would help for the project to be done.
>
> What do you think about that?
>
> Regards
> Silvan

Silvan,
Here is my personal opinion. In your proposal you have to define the
scope of the project, and you are evaluated at mid-term and at the end
of the project on your individual accomplishments. You can ask help from
others (even "sub-contract" parts of the project) without the mentors or
Google knowing (this has been discussed on the Google mentors list).
However you are still responsible for the whole project.

So, if Michael Keck wants to help you, this is fine, but in this case I
don't believe it would be appropriate that he acts as your mentor, as
the mentor has to remain objective in his evaluation and he would be
evaluating some code he has written.

Another possibility is to reduce the scope of this project in order to
fit one person x twelve weeks.