[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC 2010 proposal - User Preferences

Piotr Przybylski piotr.prz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 12:01:10 CEST 2010

2010/4/8 Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com>:
> Hi

>> > It could simply be one link + icon that tells the user that this page is
>> > influenced by some user preference, without mentionning which one.
>
> Sorry but this does not make much sense to me. I guess that even things
> like font size or theme will be part of these settings (it does not
> make much sense to maintain them separately). So that means that very
> page will be influenced by user settings. Adding link preferences to
> bottom of the page (next to open new window) might make sense (but I'm
> not convinced about this at all). I just think this will pollute user
> interface with no big benefit to users.

I agree, but as for theme and font size, I believe these should be
still stored in cookies. If a server has pmadb disabled and user does
not use the newest browser version, it would be just impossible to
store these settings. Moreover, storing them in two places (new
preferences and cookies) would just over-complicate code.

[1] http://www.findmebyip.com/litmus/#target-selector - local storage
availability in browsers

--
Piotr Przybylski