[Phpmyadmin-devel] Continue support for IE6?

Michael Keck sfnet at michaelkeck.de
Wed Aug 4 10:20:26 CEST 2010

 Hi Lori,
Hi Developers,

Am 03.08.2010 23:14, schrieb Lori Lee:
> I encountered a bug in IE6 where the z-index of <select> elements is
> always higher than of other elements, regardless of their z-index,
> i.e. <select> elements always appear on top of everything else. This
> is a problem for PMA because the tooltip feature becomes blocked and
> you can't read the text inside:
>
> http://lorilee1.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/ie_edit-e1280869355294.png
> http://lorilee1.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/ie_export-e1280869331806.png
>
> The fix for this is to position an iframe directly on top of every
> single <select> element to just cover it, though it's really just an
> hack.

For this, there's a solution by jQuery Tooltip. I mean, moving tooltips
to the jQuery would resolve these problems.

> I'm wondering if it's even necessary to continue supporting IE6.
> (Google stopped supporting it for YouTube...)

Googles YouTube is still usable with IE6 for basic functions.
I'm thinking the PMA basic functions should be usable with the (terrible
old) IE6, because on some systems the IE6 is the
default browser. All new (and sometimes complicated) functions must not
be usable with the IE6, but it would be nice
to tell those peoples to update their browser and/or system.

Regards
Michael