[Phpmyadmin-devel] seperate branch for solving elaborate bug?

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Mon Dec 13 20:33:35 CET 2010

Dieter Adriaenssens a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> 2010/12/13 Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info>:
>> Dieter Adriaenssens a écrit :
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Looking into the XML export functionality, some known issues (solved
>>> for SQL export) apply to XML export too :
>>>
>>> bug #3136658 : export functions/routines before tables [0]
>>> bug #3136655 : export view of view [1]
>>> bug #3076692 : events are not exported [2]
>>>
>>> At this moment these bugs cannot be reproduced because 'export schema
>>> structure' is not available as an option when exporting as xml, but
>>> before enabling and releasing (patch #3135414 [3] ) this, I think all
>>> the mentioned bugs should be solved, because it's not a good idea to
>>> introduce known bugs with a stable release.
>> I'm a bit confused. Since this feature does not exist in 3.3 (and will
>> not exist because 3.3 won't get new features), are these bugs really
>> related to 3.3.x?+
>
> Does it apply to 3.4.x then? As a new feature? But then the same logic
> applies, I just want to avoid that, if the fixes are done in QA_3_4
> (which does not exist at this moment), not all mentioned bugs are
> solved before the next stable release? Or should this be done in
> 3.5-dev (once QA_3_4 is created and master is equal to 3.5-dev?
>
> I have the feeling I'm making things complicated. :p

If these bugs cannot be reproduced in 3.3, please do not use "3.3.8" as
group when describing these bugs.

There are bugs in all releases, even when named "stable". Of course we
try to balance the importance of the bug (if it's known before a
release) to avoid a release with "big" bugs in it.

We agreed that we won't add features to master for now because we are
stabilizing it for 3.4. When it's time for 3.4.0-rc1 (release candidate)
then MAINT_3_4_0 will start and it will be time to add features to master.

Meanwhile you could start a new branch (even a public branch) to work on
these features. See [0].

[0] http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Devel:Git#Working_on_new_features