[Phpmyadmin-devel] about inline editing

Ninad Pundalik ninadsp16289 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 18:41:34 CEST 2010

On 13/07/2010, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
> Sorry to shoot more questions than answers here, here we go:
But this will lead to me understanding the situation better, so please
keep them coming. :)

> * does it mean that on a js-enabled browser, I would not be able to edit
> in a traditional way?
If we are to use the same edit icon for inline editing, jQuery will
prevent the traditional behaviour.  If we want to preserve traditional
behaviour, we could either add a separate icon for inline editing, or
add a toggle checkbox/button on the page, which activates/deactivates
inline editing.

> * sometimes, data in Browse mode is truncated (see $cfg['LimitChars'])
> but inline editing should permit to edit the complete data
When data is truncated, an ajax request could be made to retrieve the
complete data for inline editing.  We could ignore $cfg['LimitChars']
for this request.

> * data can be transformed (see
> http://www.phpmyadmin.net/documentation/Documentation.html#transformations)
I did not know about this.  Will read through the code and understand
how this works.

> * the display options can alter the data (partial/full text, relation
> key/relational display field, etc)
I'll keep this in mind when writing the code, it should be able to
handle these conditions.

> * should a new inline edit icon be displayed along with the current one,
> or should you use the same icon?
I guess this answer depends on the first question's answer. :)

> * what would happen with the rows checkbox which permit to edit the
> marked rows?
I could modify it's behaviour with jQuery, and trigger an inline edit
event on all the marked checkbox rows.  Otherwise, if this behaviour
is not expected/intuitive, I could hide that icon with jQuery while
inline editing is active.

--
Ninad S. Pundalik