[Phpmyadmin-devel] [Ajaxify the phpMyAdmin Interface] Help for testing changes

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 17:14:04 CEST 2010

Hi,

Seems to me like you're making good progress.

On 6/21/2010 1:13 AM, Ninad Pundalik wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It would be great if I could get some feedback on how my code is
> building up, and also some testing to ensure that the changes I'm
> making don't work in just my narrow workbench setup.
>
> * Server Privileges:
> ** Reload/Flush Privileges
> ** Add a new user (known bug: When adding a user after the first one,
> the "Create User" button makes the Ajax call and creates a user, but
> does not automatically close the dialog)

It's a small thing, but when I go to the Privileges tab and click the
"Add a new user" link, the page immediately says "Loading" -- which is
good -- but it's made to be the top thing on the page where I'll never
see it unless looking for it. I'd much rather see that type of feedback
closer to the Add a new user button or as a graphic superimposed over
the entire page. Either way, I feel the "Loading" at the top of the page
(above even the server name) is too obscure for users to notice.

Actually that location for feedback occurs with the reload privileges
link, too; at 1240x768 screen resolution I don't even see the messages,
all I see is the rest of the content shift up and down (because I've
scrolled down the page a bit).

Also "Add a new user" seems broken on the demo server[1] ("currently
running Git revision 06a7736 from master branch"), when I click the
link, the right frame never finishes loading. I see the textboxes for
creating a user for a fraction of a second before the page goes white.

> ** Revoke User
> ** Export Privileges
>
> * Database Operations:
> ** Rename Database

After renaming a database, I first get the very alarming prompt asking
if I wish to DROP my database (yes, the full text is "CREATE
DATABASE...and then DROP DATABASE foo" but as a user all I see is that
I'm dropping it). I think that can be a more friendly prompt.

Once I agree to that, I get stuck in "Reload Database" (No, Yes) -- if I
hit "Yes" that same dialog is presented, if I press No the database is
renamed but both frames act as if I'm still in the old database. (again
"currently running Git revision 06a7736 from master branch").

[snip]

> P.S: My blog host has again been moving servers, and hence, my blog is
> unreachable/down for almost 5 days now.  I will switch to a paid
> hosting service as soon as I receive the initial GSoC payment.  I'm
> sorry for the downtime.

You could look at wordpress.com; Michal's blogspot.com suggestion was
good too as I know people who use both.

> [0] - http://repo.or.cz/w/phpmyadmin/ninadsp.git