[Phpmyadmin-devel] Enum editor: JQuery UI vs. custom dialog

Michael Keck sfnet at michaelkeck.de
Fri Mar 5 12:52:45 CET 2010

Am 05.03.2010 10:55, schrieb Michal Čihař:
> Hi
>
> Dne Fri, 05 Mar 2010 10:27:15 +0100
> Michael Keck <sfnet at michaelkeck.de> napsal(a):
>

>> that's the point why I prefer jQuery.
>> First building full functional a web app without any javascript.
>> Then with jQuery add animations, effects, styles and behaviors
>> to dom elements.
>>
> I don't think it's much different with mootools.

I don't know mootools in details, but I think it's more a developer
preference.
Somebody likes mootools, other prototype, next ext.js and others jquery.
But I guess with Marc, we should use one js-framework at the moment wich
is the best for us at the moment.

>> Perhabs, we should use a template engine (like smarty), for
>> seperating code and layout. Perhabs this would make adding
>> styles and themes easier. Other point is, all things, that have
>> not to do with core functions, could be add to the templates,
>> like plugins, effects or javascripts. And with templates we are
>> able to cache basics, like menus, help, forms etc. This would
>> increase performance.
>>
> Yes, we already agreed some time ago that it would be great to use
> templates, but it is quite a lot work which nobody did to far :-).

I will try to do this with smarty. But you're right it's really quite a
lot of work.
It would be nice, to comment in the current development all html-outputs
with a special comment to search for it.
I'm working at the moment on a smarty port in a seperated development
environment and it's really diffucult to get all html outputs by reading
each
script and code.

Then it's possible to create with templates different pma environments:
- with javascript
- without javascript
- for text browsers
- for PDAs
- etc.

The other point with a template base soulution is, it doesn't really matter
wich framework for javascript is used. Cause it's included in the templates.

A other great thing is, other great oss projects are able to use our core
functional in their own applications.

Regards
Michael