[Phpmyadmin-devel] Usability of Welcome page

Pavel Konnikov konnikov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 17:33:53 CET 2010

Marc Delisle написал:
> Pavel Konnikov a écrit :
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> I analysed welcome page of phpMyAdmin and thought about simplify it
>> for non-admin users.
>> http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ze85PZJPQL1dl4aOgaPTgw?authkey=Gv1sRgCM6t37PUrdXhXg&feat=directlink
>>
>> And suggest my vision of version of welcome page
>> http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wZURKjM1YUbSfzBUL2Qpjg?authkey=Gv1sRgCM6t37PUrdXhXg&feat=directlink
>>
>> The most used operation with mysql through phpmyadmin is Basic
>> Administration operations (Database Managament, User Administration,
>> Backup and Restore) and Browse Databases (explore db structure, run
>> SQL queries and edit table data).
>> New users need some help as a rule. And we must provide some
>> documentation for them.
>>
>> This is my reflection about usability of phpmyadmin.
>>
>> What do you think about it?
>
> Hi Pavel,
> what happens if someone clicks Backup?

I would like to see some backup wizard as requested in rfe:2649375
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2649375&group_id=23067&atid=377411
The "Backup" is synonim for "Export".

> What is under the Administration

Full list of administration functions grouped by categories and
frequency of usage.

> and SQL Manipulation menus?

Tabs with query editor, result table and toolbar for running queries.

> I'm not sure about "Important Messages". If these were not important,
> why show them?

Ok we can replace "Important Messages" with some other phrase but idea
of this section is inform about problems. We can name it "Problems",
"System Messages" or "Messages" or something else.

> Where is the part named "MySQL" with MySQL server info, charset, etc?

In the "MySQL" block we have the following info:
"Server: localhost via TCP/IP" it may be shown at the "MySQL Server Status" page
"Server version: 5.1.44-community" it may be shown at the "MySQL
Server Status" page
"Protocol version: 10" why non-geek user should know protocol version?
"User: root at localhost" this shown at top right corner
"MySQL charset:  UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)" each db and table may have its
own charset and it more usefull display on with the table information
or no?

I want to participate in GSoC this year and can develop UI prototypes
for other parts. But I want to know that I am at the right direction.

Thank you for good questions.

> --
> Marc Delisle
> http://infomarc.info