[Phpmyadmin-devel] Usability of Welcome page

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Fri Mar 5 17:47:16 CET 2010

Pavel Konnikov a écrit :
> Marc Delisle написал:
>> Pavel Konnikov a écrit :
>>> Hi, all.
>>>
>>> I analysed welcome page of phpMyAdmin and thought about simplify it
>>> for non-admin users.
>>> http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ze85PZJPQL1dl4aOgaPTgw?authkey=Gv1sRgCM6t37PUrdXhXg&feat=directlink
>>>
>>> And suggest my vision of version of welcome page
>>> http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wZURKjM1YUbSfzBUL2Qpjg?authkey=Gv1sRgCM6t37PUrdXhXg&feat=directlink
>>>
>>> The most used operation with mysql through phpmyadmin is Basic
>>> Administration operations (Database Managament, User Administration,
>>> Backup and Restore) and Browse Databases (explore db structure, run
>>> SQL queries and edit table data).
>>> New users need some help as a rule. And we must provide some
>>> documentation for them.
>>>
>>> This is my reflection about usability of phpmyadmin.
>>>
>>> What do you think about it?
>> Hi Pavel,
>> what happens if someone clicks Backup?
>>
> I would like to see some backup wizard as requested in rfe:2649375
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2649375&group_id=23067&atid=377411
> The "Backup" is synonim for "Export".
>
>> What is under the Administration
>>
> Full list of administration functions grouped by categories and
> frequency of usage.
>
>> and SQL Manipulation menus?
>>
> Tabs with query editor, result table and toolbar for running queries.
>
>> I'm not sure about "Important Messages". If these were not important,
>> why show them?
>>
> Ok we can replace "Important Messages" with some other phrase but idea
> of this section is inform about problems. We can name it "Problems",
> "System Messages" or "Messages" or something else.
>
>> Where is the part named "MySQL" with MySQL server info, charset, etc?
>>
> In the "MySQL" block we have the following info:
> "Server: localhost via TCP/IP" it may be shown at the "MySQL Server Status" page
> "Server version: 5.1.44-community" it may be shown at the "MySQL
> Server Status" page
> "Protocol version: 10" why non-geek user should know protocol version?
> "User: root at localhost" this shown at top right corner
> "MySQL charset:  UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)" each db and table may have its
> own charset and it more usefull display on with the table information
> or no?
>
> I want to participate in GSoC this year and can develop UI prototypes
> for other parts. But I want to know that I am at the right direction.
>
> Thank you for good questions.

Of course, discussion about UI is often a matter of preferences.
However, looking at your proposed Welcome page, I wonder which kind of
users you are targeting. It seems to be intended for sysadmins. What
would a non-privileged user see?

Also, some simple actions like "Create database", "Change password" and
the interface choices are gone?