[Phpmyadmin-devel] phpMyAdmin with gettext

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Sun Mar 14 17:47:10 CET 2010

Hi

Dne Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:00:13 +0100
Michael Keck <sfnet at michaelkeck.de> napsal(a):

> I've seen the file /libaries/messages.inc.php. Would this the final
> solution?

No, the messages should be used directly in code/templates, this is
just for the easy transition, because this way we can use gettext
without really changing most of the code. I plan to move messages
slowly from messages.inc.php to places where they belong, but it is
nothing high priority.

> If yes, I can use in template engine things like $strXxxXxx, Else if
> not, I will write
> a filter function for TWIG-templating, but I think it would be overheaded.

It looks to me strange that there is not a templating system for PHP
which support localization natively.

> Is it possible for you, to add a switch in your select lang library?
> If I need strings in Javascript, that I would be able to include such a
> thing like:
> <script type="text/javascript"
> src="select_lang.php?js=selected_lang"></script>
> This should me return javascript compatible strings as an object like
> var pmaStringJS = {
>     strAbortedClients : 'Aborted',
>     /* ... and so on */
>     'strZip' : 'zipped'
> }

I really don't see single reason why it should be part of
select_lang.php (especially as it is in libaries, which we suggest to
protect from remote access). But we can definitely create such code.
Django has something what provides gettext like functionality to
javascript, but I don't know if the code is enough generic so that it
can be used in other project.

> The Problem: UTF8-Strings should be encoded with \uXXXX.
> Sample: 'Löschen' will become 'L\u00F6schen'.

There is some problem in using http headers for defining charset for
javascript?